Thursday, January 15, 2009

Why be a Christian?

I was face-booking with a girlfriend about a former friend who I just cannot forgive. Writing the things I was thinking, I felt aweful that I could not drum up any forgiveness or understanding for this person. All I kept thinking & what my girlfriend was probably thinking.. was what an aweful Christian! Matthew 26:28 paints the best picture of what forgivness should be to a Christian and I'm widely aware of it. As my pastor said last weekend, being a christian doesn't mean you think you are perfect, if anything it makes you more aware of your imperfections.
But truth be told to my non-Christian friends (and you know who you are).. being a Christian is the hardest thing I've ever done. I have to admit; it's much easier to ignore than to dig in, it's much easier to yell at your kids & husband than grant them grace when they let you down, it's much easier to be a bit selfish than completely selfless, it's much easier to go with the flow as the world sees fit than choose the most unpopular of choices, what the bible says. My life was so much less complex 10 years ago when I was looking out for #1.
I ask for Grace & forgiveness every day from my Lord. I'm asking up or down, right or left, I'm asking for patience to the tenth degree. I'm asking for growth & knowledge every day. And most of all I'm saying thank you for this AMAZING life every day. I never imagined my life would be this great and more doors seem to open up every day. As far as forgiving those who need to be forgiven, they probably could care less that I don't forgive them.. right now I'm on a long list, and I'm the very least important on that list. I hope that this person finds the Lord and seeks forgiveness and change there first.

No comments: